Friday, October 12, 2012

You are the instrument

I think the most important thing to keep in mind about improvisation that was discussed in the readings is that the music comes from you. You are the instrument, and whatever you interact with is just an extension of yourself. The video is a somewhat free improv done by Hermeto Pascoal and his band. During this clip, Pascoal solos on the keyboard, sings, screams, talks, bangs the keyboard, and makes all sorts of noises, which all combines to create an intense expression of self. He demonstrates that the music comes from within him, and that he can do anything and everything to give his spirit to everyone listening.

Some people (including Professor Edberg) thought it was odd that I used the piano as a percussion instrument in the free improv I did with Kristin on the last day. I'd just like to say that things like that don't really matter in my opinion: people like Pascoal in this video teach me that all that matters is getting the music you want to hear out of your head, and you can do basically anything to achieve that, regardless of the tools you use or their intended uses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821bgUU_mY&feature=plcp

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you Steven; Expressing yourself musically has no limits, you are free to play or do what ever you want. Just like in the video. Maybe it is just the percussionist in me but I am always curious of everyday things and what new sounds we can make. I mean at the Percussion at Peeler we improved with water by using cups and straws and strainers and other common things. It is a way to express yourself and bring out emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, you are just walking wisdom. lol. Instruments are just instruments, they only come alive because we fill them with life. We give them the energy. Instruments are almost extensions of ourselves because the way we play them, the way we express ourselves through them, is completely one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that woman scared me. I was about to call an exorcist. Anyways, this sounds really cool. It reminds me of the "Cosby Show", so snazzy and jazzy. Ahhhh...the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to lie, I jumped about a foot when the video started. However, I really enjoyed this video. I also agree with you that there is music in all of us, but everyone has a different song. Not everyone can adequately express themselves by droning or drumming, some people need to scream and bang on a piano! I like the idea that we all have our own stories to tell very much.

    ReplyDelete