Sunday, October 14, 2012

Immovable Do

I mentioned this in one of my comments, but I wanted to expand on this.  So as you can assume from the title, this piece is based on Do (C).  The C acts as a drone by being played continuously throughout the piece. I thought this was neat because after a while you forget that its even there.  Grainger starts it off by being consonant and pleasing to the ear, and as the piece moves on it goes in and out of the consonance.  This piece shows how droning can be done with instruments as well as just voices.

2 comments:

  1. This a beautiful piece and sounds a lot like "Blacksmith Variations" by Jim Mahaffey, who does the same affect with droning, but not quite to the extent as Grainger did. Also, the styles of the two songs are rather similar. http://www.penders.com/p/17488300/blacksmith-variations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Grainger and this piece is especially gorgeous. I like the idea of droning with instruments. It definitely gives the piece some stability, almost like a backbone. I also like that the drone moves WITH the dynamics of the rest of the piece so that it is always audible.

    ReplyDelete