Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bobby McFerrin Plays...The Audience!

        When I had to solo in my group's improv performance, I was a nervous wreck because I had never really improvised in front of an audience in my life. In my panicked state, I wasn't really able to plan out what I would play, but for some reason I clung to the pentatonic scale (five note scale, e.g. the black keys on the piano) nearly the entire time.
       Looking back, I think I stuck to the notes in that scale because they felt familiar, but I had no clue why. Then tonight, I was on StumbleUpon (to which I am addicted) and I saw this video, and suddenly it all made sense. According to Wikipedia, the pentatonic scale seems to be hardwired into the human brain, as it shows up in the folk music of just about every indigenous culture around the world.
        So...do you think this scale is hard-wired into YOUR brain? Do you find yourself reverting to certain musical ideas when you improv? Do you find this video as awesome as I do?

4 comments:

  1. I love this video! I saw it a couple years ago and it totally blew my mind away. I think this is really prof that there is music in everyone, regardless of whether or not they can feel it or hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool and reminds me of the unified sound idea. This is crazy that the audience has just come together like this. Creating that one unified sound with just a man jumping around a stage is definitely taking that idea to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what McFerrin says after the fact, " No matter who is in the audience, they always hit that." That is cool because music really is a universal langue that everyone communicates with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is super cool!! What this reminded me of is how we all have certain intervals that are stuck in our heads. The way we say "mommy" is connected to some nursery rhymes. Like Ben said, music is a universal language and even though some sounds may sound "weird" to others, we all have the same emotions invested in music.

    ReplyDelete